Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Heart attack with no resources

Sorry the story got cut off, I was about to miss my ride home from the hospital.
So I had to diagnose the heart attack (mi) by symptoms and EKG alone. No cardiac enzymes available. I dug around to find any cardiac mess since the ones available here are all different than the
"favorite" drugs I have memorized. Also aspirin was out of stock. Fortunately dr vijay had some extra plavix and aspirin combo drug. Also heart catheterization wasn't an option because it's financially out of reach of most people in India. The thing that makes me sick is that so many people abuse the system in the USA to get morphine and dilaudid by complainig of chest pain. Consequently too many of them get heart caths that don't need them. This guy, the thing he needed most was heart cath. Instead we had to just pray and manage him with medicines. He passed away the next day. He was in his early 60's which since being here I've started classifying as "old" in my mind because it's beyond their normal life expectancy. 60 here is equivalent to 90 in the us as far as prognosis and how aggressive we get here.
Otherwise work is good here. I've taken a couple lessons from dr hasanga and the imaginary kris Crawford. I was getting frustrated with the pt's and the language barrier and the cultural barrier and my slowness due to all of them together, plus my lack of experience/knowledge. Following dr hasanga's lead I've been laughing more at the inability to communicate. I no longer expect my self to accomplish anything. And I just seek god in each moment for know why he's called
Me back to Makunda and seek to know what he wants of me in each moment. It's made for a better day and I feel like the people are seeing Jesus more and feeling his love for them so much more now than when I was
Trying to be productive. :)
Sounds like god!
Also my c/sections are getting faster and more controlled and less bloody. I'm also getting better of getting the head out even after it's engaged and pretty far down the vagina. Sylvia too is getting really good too. She had less pre-trainig that I before common here. And today she finished the c/section that she was primary surgeon on in 37 minutes! ( 20 is fast and 45-60 minnie average in USA).

3 comments:

  1. God bless you with peace and joy. I hope that you use more the spiritual medicine, Prayer. Ari keep your good work, we love you and I be praying for you and the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good to hear from you guys! sounds like you're getting an awesome experience. we missed you this weekend at retreat. can't wait to have you back! make the most of your remaining time. praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys are learning...so proud of you both!! I know why I am not there with you guys as planned, there are so many things happening here at my work and I needed to be here. Still, I miss the trip with you guys. My regards to Dr. Vijay and Ann!

    ReplyDelete